As I continued to research I found people creating workout equipment out of PVC pipe to allow them to do the same moves I was doing at the playground. I came across this one that allowed for everything I wanted to do, all in one self contained set up. I downloaded a couple of pictures from the site and wrote down their materials list and went to work on recreating it.
Being that I am right on the border I chose to go with the 2 inch, just to be safe. The website suggested you measure from your hip bone to the floor to get the proper height for the horizontal bars. The width I figured out when I put two folding chairs together and simulated a dip to see how wide would be comfortable and measured the distance between. As far as the rest of the measurements I simple made a guess on what I think would be enough to create a steady platform. For my set up I went with 3ft by 2.5ft for the base and 3ft tall for the parallel bars. After I finished all the measurements I added up all the lengths I needed to give me a total length so I new how much material I had to buy.
Here is what you will need:
6 - T connectors
8 - 90 degree elbows
Hacksaw - to cut the sections you need
Sharpie - to mark your measurements
Masking Tape - this helps maintain a straight cut if you don’t have a miter box
Glue - I used Gorilla brand expanding super glue, but there is PVC specific glue available
(On a side note, the PVC pipe at Lowes was sold in 5ft and 10ft section. The 10ft section was only a little more than a dollar more than the 5ft section, I am guessing because it was pre-cut, so I would suggest going with the 10ft pieces and save some money.)
I got started by measuring out one piece at a time and cut as I went. I would dry fit each piece as I went making sure everything was square. Once I finished the base and it was all dry fit together I started on the uprights and parallel bars. Since I didn’t have step by step directions I took my time and would refer back to the pictures for guidance. Once I was completely done, I gave it a quick test run and worked perfectly. Now I just had to disassemble and glue it up. I glued it up just as I built it, starting with the base; I would glue a couple of sections at a time to ensure they stayed square until the glue set. After the base was finished I let it sit overnight to fully cure before I started the uprights.
After it was all assembled and glued I let it sit over night to let the glue fully cure. Since then it has worked exactly as I hoped it would have. If I had to do it all over again I would highly recommend to spend a little extra and get the glue designed specifically for assembling PVC. I have already had to re-glue one section, but I think that is because I didn't get enough glue in the joint the first time. Anyway, this has been a fun project to work on and I am glad I did it.