Thursday, August 7, 2014

Wednesday Weigh In

     Do to my crazy work schedule I wasn't able to finish this post till Thursday.  Most of what I wrote was written on Wednesday, sorry for the delay!

     All I can say today is with a negitive outcome I still have a positive outlook on things.  As much as I would love to see a loss every week I know sometimes that can't always be the case.  This week I had no delusions that I would have lost anymore weight considering my eating habits.  Thursday we were at the Toledo Mud Hens game and Saturday at the county fair, allowing myself to eat all that garbage both places were serving up, to be honest I am surprised I only gained what I did.  Also in full disclosure I didn't get my normal pre-run bathroom visit in before I weighed in so it might not have been as bad as it looks, but no excuses.   

8/6/14 official weigh in
184 lbs
Change: +1.5 lbs
Total loss from heaviest: 133 lbs
Current BMI: 28.8 (overweight)
Change: +.3

     Moving on, normally I am sleeping right now, eventually I get up and go for my run, eat lunch and then sit down and start typing out this post.  This week however, I am short staffed at work and not only am I working today, but I am working 9 straight days before my next day off.  I really didn't have a choice, two of my employees had very important reasons to be off at the same time, so to have enough coverage for the week, here I am about to head into work.

     Do to my work schedule, I had to get a little creative with my long run today.  This week was a cut back week for my long run, so I only had 12 miles to do today.  I decided to get up about 15 minutes earlier than I normally do and try and squeeze in as many miles as I could, and whatever was left I would go for another run tonight when I get home from work.  Probably not the most perfect plan but I really didn't want to get home around 7:30ish and head out for 2 hours and I didn't want to get up an hour earlier this morning so this seemed like the best solution.

     As far as the run goes, it was really creepy and I don't mean scooby Doo creepy I mean like children of the corn or Friday the 13th creepy.  Since I was up earlier than I usually am it was a little darker out and to make matters worse a heavy fog had set in overnight.  I took a pictures in town before I headed out but it doesn't do it justice.  Once I got on the bike path and got out of town the fog got even thicker and even with my headlamp I couldn't see more then 10-15 feet in front of me.  It was really creepy with the trees on the path forming a tunnel effect and when I was in the open areas of the path I had corn fields on each side of me.  I tried to relax and just settle into my run, but that never happened.  You can see it in my pace, I wanted to be around 9:50-10:00 per mile and I just kept running faster and kept my pace in the low 9:40s to high 9:30s just wanting to get back to my house.  The faster pace did help me to get in 7 miles before work so now I only have to hit 5 miles tonight.

     When I got home I quickly changed into my running gear and headed out for my other 5 miles for the day.  I was really surprised good I felt.  I really thought my pace would have been quite slow due to my first run and being on my feet all day at work.  When I looked at my watch at the quarter mile mark of my first mile I was shocked at how quick my pace was and how easy it was to hit that pace.  After I finished the first mile and saw a 9:32 I decided that I would try to keep the faster pace going for the entire 5 miles.  I figured if I wasn't able to run the entire 12 miles at once, running both sets at a faster pace would be the best way to simulate doing the entire run at a slower pace.
      When I headed out for my lunch today I noticed how hot it was and I figured my second run was going to suck.  Since I didn't hit the road till almost eight o clock, the sun had started setting while the temperature and the humidity also dropped and it felt almost as cool as it did during my morning run.  My legs were starting to feel it during the fourth mile as you can see by the change in my pace.  Mile five I turned on and really pushed to have as strong finish and boy was I glade when the run came to an end.  All in all this run was a nice, uneventful training run to put in the books.  Tomorrow is a rest day and then its back at it with some speed work on Friday :(

1 comment:

  1. Good work Dean the Machine. You are certainly dedicated to your training and it will pay off BIG TIME come October. Around mile twenty when others are dropping like flies you'll still be going strong!